Life's Chapters

Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Cane or No Cane?

Canning was publicly heatedly discussed once upon a time. I can't really recall what sparked the arguments then.

What I'm writing next are merely my observations and no harm was ever intended to the said parties.

To what degree of mischief then the kids deserved/ should be canned?

In one of the previous school I was in, I saw a discipline teacher slapped a student. I was stunt. Given the environment of the school, I understood how imperative strict measures were.

Personally, I have never caned my students. I do however believe that children could do with to be caned if needed to. I don't think the usage of cane is uncalled for. A simple point at it is if your kids don't obliged praying by the age of seven, we are to use a stricter approach. It shows that between those growing ages it is vital to impose discipline. There are of course various ways to inculcate discipline.

Then again, as people say, there's always the first time for everything. Next day the news has spread about being one of the garang ones and do not mess around in my class. I hope it is still not too late to help these kids. I believe they are still at the age of something can still be done. I'm teaching 8 out of the 9 Form 1 classes.

The first few days were very stressful as I tried to garner their respects. Later on it is the stage of conveying the friendship message.

I bukan jenis yang berkira with my students. Tak ada pen, I bagi. Tak makan, I buy them food. However, when it comes to discipline matters I am very particular. And the students realised this that makes me happy. The students know I have a sharp tongue and tolerate no nonsense.

In my class, the floors must be clear of any rubbish. Ties must be neatly done on their shirt. Mesti ada belt and socks. Baju kurung kena ada pin. When I teach, everyone must listens. Tak tahu, tanya.

I am also a form teacher. My class is not the best class but can still be managed. The day after I warned them about truancy, I had full attendance the whole week. Alas, they only behave in my class.

I have complaints from 2 teachers now. Frankly, I don't blame the students. Why can the students do work and behaved in my class but not theirs? How do you justify this situation? These teachers want me to fill in the students' discipline cards. I'm not doing it. I feel that as a teacher you are the one who must be able to control the students. Make them pay attention in class. Budak-budak kan. Given a chance of course they'll start acting up.

People always complained about the fresh batch of teachers and in particular lady teachers. I feel in the current school I am in, the younger generations and ladies are more a martinet compared to the veterans and most male teachers.

Some teachers are more troubled about their vehicles not to be sabotaged (that is why I jalan kaki je ke sekolah... hahahaaa). They care more about not being called in the pengetua office or receiving a sue note from the parents' lawyer.

Tak kira lah, guru baru atau guru senior. Guru lelaki mahupun guru perempuan. Mendidik anak bangsa itu satu amanah. Kita marah kerana sayang bukan kerana benci. After you've reprimand the students, reason out with them.

Nawaitu kita cuma nak lihat anak didik berjaya dalam hidup. Kalau itu dah niat kita, takkan something can go wrong? I believe that if our intentions are right, insyaAllah, whatever we do, Allah will pave the way for us.

Time solat tu mintaklah, "Ya Allah, terangkan hati students ku untuk menerima pelajaran, jadikan mereka insan yang berjaya dalam hidup, sentiasa menghormati sesama manusia, niatku adalah untuk mendidik, mudahan mak ayah depa tak complaint atau hantar surat saman." =P

Once I read something that goes, "be a disciplinarian to your children when they are young, be their friends and guide when they are in teenage years, and then be their advisors and supporters when they are adults, by then decisions are solely theirs to make"

Parenting is tough ay. One day, if I ever have children of my own, then it's apt to share more. As for now, I'm just a cikgu.