Life's Chapters

Saturday, March 18, 2006

School Meme

After the last entry yesterday, I had a small chat with a friend. I guess I just needed to talk to someone whenever I find myself stuck in such mud pool. It's not a mud pool, really. It was a tough crossroad.

My friend reminded me of a very important lesson in life. Never have regrets over your decisions. He said he gave away his opportunity to study in the US and he has no qualms over it. I had decided on B when he asked me to go for A, but that does not matter at all. It's just that I appreciate him taking the time to comfort me though not that successful in calming me down but I managed to log off with a smile. [and while typing this entry he called a few minutes ago to check on me, how sweet can he get...]

More of today's occurrence shows that I've made the right move. Alhamdulillah. Though I have to let go of such a golden opportunity, it's ok I guess. , it'to let go of such a golden opputunity eAit. in life.

Saw this meme on Kak Haida's.

I've always had fond memories of schooling days. So here goes:


How many schools did I go to?

I attended Primary One in SRK Green Road. Simply because my dad's working there. My dad is not a teacher though. The next year my dad was transferred to Divisional Office and I was also transferred to a school nearby his office which is known as SRB St.Faith then. After the circular by the ministry few years back, it was changed to SK St.Faith. At the beginning of last year, they stopped taking in students for Standard 1. Something about taking over the school’s land for development purposes. Somewhere along the line, I hazily recall my father wanted to arrange for my transferransfer me again yet again. It was to SK St.Mary. I refused to leave my friends so I stayed on till Primary 6. It is in this school I developed a penchant for our national language. I spoke bahasa melayu baku throughout my 5 years studying there. In that 5 years too, I secured the best student in BM without fail.

Into secondary. I rejected the offer to SM Sains Kuching. I was not ready for boarding school plus my mum was not willing to let me got too. I got into SM Kebangsaan St.Mary Kuching instead (and oh yes, I know of our sisters school in KL and Sandakan).my mum was not willing to let me got too. d to leave my friends so i After the results were out for PMR, I was offered a place in MRSM Kuching. I didn’t want to leave my friends so I turned down the offer. I loyally stayed put as a Marian throughout my remaining school years.


Was I the studious nerd, or the last minute hero?

Nerd, no... Studious, not really. While not a champion, and since idleness is also a norm, I know I had to motivate myself not to procrastinate too much. I'm not some genius kid or a smart-ass like my bro, so I know I have to plan/study in advance. I just prefer if things were on time. I do tend to emphasis on details a little.


Was I the class 'taiko' or the teacher's pet?


I won't say a taiko exactly. Nor the teachers' pet unerringly. Both statements would be like mixing oil and water.

However, I can say that I managed to play both roles quite diligently without offending any party along the way. Looking back, I guess what happened was I defended the rights and look towards the students' best interest in any cases, while also assuming the position as a respectful and well-mannered student to the teachers.

Some stories to share yea.

Once,once,stories to share yea. teachers. the prefectorial board launched a cold war with two teachers namely the discipline teachers. It lasted for more than a week when we were called in for a meeting and the teachers apologised and one of them actually cried. Of course I was feeling guilty to the brim. On the other hand I felt the need to stand up for my friends too. It was a very trying moment there ok. Alhamdulillah, everything ended well anyway, till now; I still maintain good rapport with the two teachers.

I managed to realise our dreams of making the first prefectorial board farewell celebration to our seniors in a resort! Usually it would be held at night cum dinner in the school compound. We wanted it different. We went all out to do it despite being looked down by some teachers and seniors too. We had it two days and a night, inclusive of a seafood dinner. Bertuah nya seniors.

Despite all the remonstration and disputes, we maintained a good relationship too with the teachers. I won't be a sour grape. I can't afford too, and I malas nak melayan menda remeh temeh nieh sebenarnya. Personally, who were not nakal in their days? So long it's nothing major, I'll let them off the hook. Setakat corrections pens, bubble gum, cassettes or vcd is ok. Not ok is when they're cigarettes, psychotropic pills, not pinning your baju kurung, not wearing singlet for muslim girls not wearing tudung, those irks me out. =P

Bunch of demerit forms that got to my hands never arrived at the teachers. Let me share why. I believe that action speaks louder than words and people actually KNOW you. Though I tolerated the students in many areas, they perceived me the strictest person too. And they actually like me for that. Nasib baik... heheheee...

How garang can I get? I once chased a group of three girls (I think) on the street because I saw them already in the school compound yet they went out again. I just know they are up to no good so I pursued them lah. I bet they didn't see that coming. hahahaaa...

Students are our main informants too of any happenings around the school. And I like the way we worked things out then. Unlike what I hear of the school now. I wish these 'elected leaders' know how to go about and learn a thing or two on PR.

I've always maintained a close relationship with the teachers. Not kissing up to them. Just close. How many of us actually get to share meals with your teachers in school kan? The first time it happened I punya lah segan, tapi lepas tuh biasa dah. I don't mind doing favours for teachers but I know my limits too so as not to be their 'pet'.

Anyways, a taiko or not, doesn't matter, I ended my school years in high spirits. hts and happenedles.


What was the biggest rule I broke in school?

I didn't any. hehehee...

However, there was one time we were in charge of decorating the halls for Teacher's Day. Only my assistant and I had the consent to go out during school hours to purchase stuffs. Anything such as ribbons, cello tapes, wrapping papers etc. Often on our way, we would tapau packed food for the rest of our camaraderie. Once, we bump into two of our teachers having their morning break at that shop. Tak lah kalut sangat sebab tahu cikgu tuh sporting. hahahaaa... It did not seem to hinder the both of us still. Instead, during an outing, the both of us went really far on the pretext of purchasing stuff (somewhere that took us a 10-15 mins walk) just to enjoy a plate of... ROTI CANAI!!! Giler berani siot!

It was fun. I did lots of crazy stuff with my assistant. She was also my mentor and guide in running the affairs of the board. She was a great person. She was among my greatest supporter even to this day. =)


Three subjects I enjoyed

Bahasa Melayu - I developed the liking for this subject ever since I was a young girl. I read a lot of BM materials ranging from Didik, Dewan Pelajar, Dewan Siswa, novels, cerita hikayat, to Gila-Gila, Ujang etc. I’m lucky that I happen to be fond of my BM teachers too since Standard 2.

However, those Alaf 21 novels, I only started reading them during my uni days. Previously I read more DBP novels.

I guess reading maketh a man.

Music Education - ours was the only school in the state having music education as a subject taught in school. I was active in the choir, dikir barat, gamelan and caklempong team. I enjoyed my time indulging in everything music related during those days. There was a particular year we learnt several dance steps including ballroom dancing. Oh, I will marry the first guy who'll give me a dip! =P

What else? Sejarah, Geography, Maths, Science, Biology (I like the subject but not the teacher...heheee), Physic (I like the teacher but he was quite poor in his teaching). Chemistry, nothing much to remember of.

Well, I don't know why I wasn't particularly in love with English during school. I had great teachers. I was involved in English publications, choral speaking and forum, yet I don't know why I wasn't love-struck with the subject then unlike now.

So, I don't have a third favourite subject. =P


Three teachers that inspired me

This is tough. I think I'll end up with more than three. I'll just start from primary school to make things easier. So, in no particular order.

Cikgu Bunian - I know the name sounds funny. heh. She was my class teacher in Standard 2 and 3 and she developed my love for BM. She was the one who trains me for competitions during those days. Those were my stepping stones to have more confidence in anything I did.

Cikgu Hashim - My class teacher for Standard 4,5 and 6 who is also my BM teacher for the three consecutive years. I was bullied into believing that I was a teacher's pet, but heck I don't care. I was too young to be bothered with those stories. He had also played a role in boosting my self-confidence.

Cikgu Wilhelmina - Our English and Music teacher. During my initial years in that school I was timid and ill at ease of myself and my surroundings. She had complained to my parents that I don’t greet the teachers 'enough'. When my parents told me and advised me on that, I was a little annoyed. Good thing is, since then I tend to greet anyone I know on the streets. "Hello uncle" "Good morning aunty"

Cikgu Annette - She was the teacher who told us not to be a Jack or Jane, with all work and no play. She told us the importance of balancing life and getting to know even the latest news in entertainment, not just be too absorbed with our studies. What provoked her comments? She saw none of us brought entertainment magazines to school!

In secondary;

Cikgu Noraza - A petite, charming, fair-skinned lady who looks really cute in tudung. There was one conversation I had with her before she got transferred back to Kelantan that I will never forget for the rest of my life. She shared a lot with me off-school hours and taught me great deal of lessons in life. But, she is also one strict lady with a sharp tongue, mind you. There was one time, during her class; somehow I was called outside of class to discuss stuff with several different parties and she was of course irritated that her class is being interrupted often. I was pissed too. I guess she dah hilang sabar that she exclaimed (when I was again called outside the classroom, I was walking and...) "Kalau dah busy sangat tuh mengalahkan menteri, baik awak angkat je erent parties and she rest of my life. kerusi meja tu dan duduk kat luar kelas" Fuh! Malu tidak terkira masa tu. ishk... I think the whole class was shocked too and I think you can hear a pin dropped. Sudahnya, I scolded the girls who wanted to see me too. hahahaaa... tension betul masa tuh.

Even so, I love her no less. I did dropped by her house during Raya in 2003 but she was not in. I was on my way from Terengganu to Tanjung Malim then. So, since she left in 2000 I've never met her. Hope to meet her anytime soon.

Cikgu Kuswady - Our class teacher in 1997. We gave him a wallet that he still uses up till last year when I last met him in school. Kedekut jugak cikgu nieh, atau sentimental value bagi dia? heheheee... we had a blast with him as our form teacher. And I've never failed to visit him for Raya since 1997 except in 2003 and 2005 when I was not around in Kch. It seems like will have to give it a miss again this year. He's a great teacher. A good sport and adores us as much as we do him.

Cikgu Shahizam - Class teacher for 1999 and 2000. Giler lawak cikgu nieh. Loyar buruk pun iye jugak. Kedah mai. He used to tell us that when he n his wife first got transferred to Sarawak the wife mati-mati didn't want to come, yet now, when he wants to go back to his hometown, the wife mati-mati tak nak balik. hahahaaa... he was always behind our back, giving us advices and how to plot against certain teachers. heh. Giler best kan. If there's a spot-check, he and his best buddy Cikgu Solomon will keep the vcds for the students. Dorang pun tumpang pinjam. I malas nak comment. heh. Cikgu Shahizam gave me a lengthy testimonial in my school leaving cert which I appreciate a lot. I will still look for him every time I'm back in school.

There's also of course Mrs.Lu (who bakes excellent shepherd's pie), Mr.Siva (admirable English accent), Mdm.Ivy (a lovely lady with superb vocab), Ms.Wilarmy (who instilled the sense of leadership in me and very supportive, understanding and reasonable), Mdm.Linda Ong (my principal, a great lady with admirable traits, simply no another. She still hugs and gives me pecks and she's the reason why I'm inspired to be a principal one day), Cikgu Hadiah (the nicest sets of baju kurungs, elegance in simplicity), Ustazah Norhayati (supportive, gentle, kind, and which her mother had adopted me as a daughter)s of baju kurungs)erstanding and reasonable) and many more others.

I guess I don't really remember them individually inspiring me. Each and every one of them have played immense roles in my life, moulding me to be what I am today, and I'm very thankful for all the precious lessons and experiences they've given me.

Maybe this year I'll finally deliver the cake I've pledged ages ago for the upcoming Teacher's Day celebration in May.


Cubalah untuk mengerti
Cubalah menghayati
Apa tersirat di hatihe wife mati-mati tak nak balik. hahahaaa.go back to his hometown, awak the wife d a blast with him as our form teacher. ..hahaaa.I scolded the girls who wanted to see me too.