Life's Chapters

Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Shedding some light

I was flipping channels for the prime news last night. What Datuk Seri Mohd. Nazri said in Parliament triggered me to do a posting. I had to put aside for a moment my dear novel. It really bugged me.

They want to make it obligatory for new converts to inform their family. During the telecast from Parliament Datuk Seri Mohd. Nazri said something like a human right is no longer solely his/her right if it is going to impinge on the rights of others, thus there is a need for certain guidelines on how to go about. True enough, conversion to Islam affects many areas such as the sanctity of marriages between different religion partners, inheritance, children's custody, yadaaa yadaaa...

I understand the logics, arguments, and their point but, but, but...

Still... I was upset.

Again, I think, things are easier said than done. Berat mata memandang, berat lagi bahu memikul (the load may see heavy to the naked eyes but it is the one who shoulder the load who would actually know it feels).

Let's be realistic and speak from a lower ground here. Leave all the constitutions, law-makers at the level where they are.

Conversion is such a big turning point in one's life. Be it into any religion. However, personally I feel there are more that is acquired of us when we choose the path of Islam, it being an agama fitrah. Simple example is the wind of change in how you dress, consumption and prayers.

As open as nowadays people claim their mentality to be, believe me, conversion is never a not-so-sensitive issue to juggle with. That there are still some people who 'look down' on converts. Various ways of being prejudice.

- he/she is trying to be (deemed as) too Islamic

- he/she is only converting to tie the knot

- he/she will still be the old same him/her and won't be able to blend in as Muslims

- he/she may grip onto traditions and can't be good Muslims


How sad can that be? Maybe minority but still... While there are MANY organisations around, how many actually are down at the fields? After the conversion, what's next? How do we assist? How keen are we, and how much are we willing to do?

This is an issue that is close to my heart for I have seen and experienced. I was judged before the meeting. I hold no grudges because I have always known these are how things are, and I was a wee bit unfortunate I didn't see it coming. When your family background's are brought into the light, how to fend yourself? It is a big blow to one's self-esteem. Did I ask to be stuck in this? I'm not lamenting on what came about, but as hurtful as it is, it happened and stays as a part of the memory.

It is so easy to judge, why they can't reveal they have converted? There are many possibilities to consider.

- will the family accept with an open heart?

- will these converts still have roofs over their head?

- can they fend for themselves for a decent meal on the table?

- where is the loving, support and encouragement going to come from? no one can ever love you like your own family, no matter under any circumstances.


For all the above, should one postpone one's conversion though hidayah is there? If he/she dies before reciting the syahadah? What is the justification then?

Converting is a tough and major call to make. Is he/she a disobedient child just because he/she yet to gather enough courage to come clean with their folks?

The obstacles vary. Some are much luckier, some are not. Some manage to pull through, some do not.

I've seen people 'in' then out. I feel helpless. People who had pledged their support yet back off. People who are more concern on marrying converts off on the pretext of security etc (I'm not against marriage but the thought about it is actually being suggested so that there is SOMEONE to finally take over the 'duty' of taking care irks me). People who look out for outer appearance (i.e tudung) rather than checking on the ibadah or amal.

I tend to be emotional. Sorry.

Alhamdulillah, really, for brothers and sisters who have abundant support around them. May Allah continue to shower you with the strength to go on and copious guidance in life.

It's not I'm against the idea of announcing it to the world that you are a Muslim and be proud of it, but think also of the consequences and welfare of all the parties.

To make it mandatory, to incorporate in into the law? I don't know...

Sister Shafiqa, what's your take on this and perhaps you would like to share too?

In KL or Peninsular Malaysia, temporary shelters are plenty.

In KK there are gazetted houses for new converts where they can stay for a short time.

In Kuching, sad to note, there's none of the above. There are rented hostels but maximum is three days if I'm not mistaken. Thing is, just A FEW days! Something is being done to improve this particular department, yet it seems still a long way to go. Why, what, is causing the delay, I don't know.

Where is protection going to come from? Anyway, I once touched a little on this subject. Here.

Frankly, there is not enough of man-power, and those who are willing to go all out into the fields.

Da'wah doesn't end there when you have finally converted someone. It's a continuous responsibility (if you can call it so). Personally, I feel that da'wah is a way of life. On how you carry yourself. Actions speak louder than words.

Fatihah Nur Izzati means the beginning of the light of truth/nobility. I pray that through a life well-lived, I can be a living testimonial on the beauty and greatness of Islam. Same goes for fellow muslimin and muslimat. Allahuakhbar. Ameen.


Whatever that comes along, I pray and hope it will be the best for everyone.